Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Alone or Lonely?

 It seems to me that being alone doesn't necessarily mean lonely.  Three years ago I became a widower after my wife of ~35 years, Wendy, died from gynecologic (ovarian and endometrial) cancer.  Since then my life has changed in more ways than being single.  My special needs son has moved out to a group home, I have downsized my home to a different, but not far away neighborhood and I am in a long term serious relationship with a wonderful woman I met via a trusted friend.  I do have a housemate - my wonderful dog, Pepper, 10 years old and doing great.  Other losses in myh life add to my alone status.  My parents passed away a few years ago, as did my wonderful in-laws.   My son and his wife lost a 7 day old son due to a tragic and unexpected medical problem.  He lives 6 hours away.  My two remaining sibling, of the seven of us, live half a country away.

So I am alone and, most of the time, not lonely.  But there are times when I definitely am both and, at times, even when I am with others, lonely due to the losses in my life.  Luckily for me, I have close and long distance friends and family, a love filled romantic relationship and a strong church community to support me.

So, are you alone?  Lonely? How do you respond to these questions?  What are your coping skills?  What do you do when you are alone or lonely.  

Please share as you feel comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment